How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxMomNJ Your Own Question
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 245
Experience:  7 years experience with tax preparation company, over 500 hours of tax courses taken
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxMomNJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are an office technology company and provide gas allowances

Customer Question

We are an office technology company and provide gas allowances to all 30 sales representatives who are employed here. If the sales representatives track mileage and report odometers, can they avoid paying taxes on the gas allowance? What kind of programs need to be implemented to report this information to the government?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxMomNJ replied 8 years ago.

Hello,Customer You have a very good question. There are different reimbursement plans a company can use to determine how an employee's reimbursement is treated when it comes to taxes.


An accountable plan is one in which, reimbursement is not subject to federal taxes.


These are the three requirements for an accountable plan:

  1. There must be a business connection and the expense must be reasonable.
  2. There must be reasonable accounting for the expenses.
  3. All excess reimbursements must be repaid in a reasonable time.

If these three requirements are not met, the plan is considered to be a nonaccountable plan, in which the reimbursement is subject to federal taxes (including social security and medicare taxes).


You can view this article at:,,id=164471,00.html