How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what tax for to file I have a tax levy from 2006 i was not

This answer was rated:

what tax for to file I have a tax levy from 2006 i was not married to my current wife then, she is the sole income earner and they want to take her return to settle that levy, i need to know what form to file that stops that



You are referring to the Injured spouse form, Form 8379. She is the injured spouse, since you have the prior debt. However, when you use this form, the IRS decides how to allocate income, deductions and credits, and may still take more of the refund than desired.


You may alternatively file married separately, so that she will receive a refund but they will not seize her refund---and then later amend the return to married joint, and if there is any refund after that, they will most likely seize it (however you can still use Form 8357 when you amend the return). At least this way you can slightly control what they seize and when.

Wendy Reed and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you