How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My roth IRA contributions are more than the roth IRA is worth.

Resolved Question:

My roth IRA contributions are more than the roth IRA is worth. Can I withdraw my contributions without being penalized or taxed? I'm under 59. I've had the acccts since 2000. one acct is worth $4093 today but I've put over $4800 into it.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 8 years ago.

Hello there,


Not only may you withdraw your contributions without being taxed, but you may also take a loss if you itemized deductions on Schedule A, under miscellaneous deductions subject to 2% AGI limitation.


Your contributions were made with all after tax monies, so withdrawals will not be taxable. You may take the loss as an itemized deduction provided you withdraw or close all Roth IRAs that you own.


Let me know if you need more information.

Wendy Reed and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you