How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a 529 plan for our daughter who is a junior in college.

Resolved Question:

We have a 529 plan for our daughter who is a junior in college. She wants to move off campus. Can we pay her rent, etc from the fund?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 8 years ago.

Hello there,


The 529 plan is versatile in the types of expenses that it can be used for, such as computers, books, etc. As far as room and board is concerned, "qualified education expenses" (definition for 529 plan) can include reasonable cost of room and board for a beneficiary who is at least a 1/2 time student. However, there is a limitation, and the amount for room and board cannot be more than a certain amount (details on page 49 of IRS pub 970: )


Here are some links to more information about non-campus or off-campus housing and how to determine the amount that can be used as a "qualified education expense"



Wendy Reed and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you