Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My dad and I are buying land in Mexico for investment purposes.

Customer Question
When we sell, what taxes...
My dad and I are buying land in Mexico for investment purposes. When we sell, what taxes will we owe to Mexico and the US? I have been told if we set up a certain type of Mexican corp, we will get a US forgein tax credit. Do you know what type of corp we need to setup in order to get this credit?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
11/4/2008
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 9 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

As non-residents of Mexico you may opt to use the residence section and permit deductions, but to be eligible you should appoint a tax domicile and representative in Mexico.

If you choose a flat tax on the sale of the real estate - it is 25% income tax on the gross income (sale price received).

if the normal (resident) tax is used, then there is about 40% rate income tax on the net income.

As you are US citizens - you should report and pay taxes on all your income worldwide.

Because the same income is taxable abroad - you may claim a credit for taxes paid abroad by using form 1116 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1116.pdf

You do not need to have a corporation to use this credit.

As Mexico taxes are likely higher - there will not be any additional tax liability in the US, but you still need to report the income.

So...even if we buy about 5 acres of ocean front raw land ...with no house or improvement of any kind...we don't need to set up a corporation? Since this land is in the restricted zone and won't be used for residential purposes, I thought we might need to set up a corporation. Just not sure if it matters which type of corp we choose in order to get a US tax credit??
You do not need a corporation to claim a credit for taxes paid abroad on your US tax return.
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor