How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My hubby has his own business and works for someone now, his

This answer was rated:

My hubby has his own business and works for someone now, his accountant he uses for his business also does our personal stuff too. My hubby currently claims myself and our kids, and we filed jointly. Is it possible for me to file my work as previously talked about on my own or does it all need to be done together? Can we still file jointly and I do mine seperately, or how would that work?

Please advise!

Dear Kandykis,


I read the previous postings regarding your business/self-employment activities.


There is no reason why you could not legally file married and separate and you and your husband could even split the dependents and some of the other itemized deductions as needed.


However this may not be the best move. The best move would be the one that offers you the greater income tax refund, or the least amount of income tax liability.


consider that if you and your husband earn more than 165,000 jointly, then depending on your circumstances it may benefit you to file separately. But to know for sure you have to run some scenarios.


You can use this tax calculator to determine what it might look like.


On the lines for self-employment/schedule C or business income, for a joint return scenario, use the Net profits on schedule C from your and your husband's added together.



Ed Johnson and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you