How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marvin,EA Your Own Question
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1672
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Marvin,EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a US resident with Belgian citizenship. If I send each

This answer was rated:

I am a US resident with Belgian citizenship. If I send each year part of my savings to my retired parents in Belgium, do I need to pay taxes on that amount, or file any forms to make sure I comply with all US tax rules?
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. How much will you send your parents in Belgium?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I am looking into 2 scenarios:

1. Send them $100,000 this year, and then in later years some smaller amounts.

2. Send them each year $60,000.

If you give each of your parents any amount over $12,000 (for 2008) you must report the amount over $12,000 ($26,000 for both parents) on Form 709, United States Gift Tax Return ( . No tax is due on the gift until your lifetime gift tax exclusion of $ 1 million is use up. If you give your parents $100,000 for 2008 you will have to report a gift in the amount of $74,000 (100,000 - 26,000 = 74,000). If you are married your exclusion will be $24,000 for each parent and you would have to report a gift in the amount of $52,000. You can read more about gift tax at,,id=107815,00.html

Marvin,EA and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you