How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MequonCPA Your Own Question
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2342
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
MequonCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I used to work a a factory 10 miles from my house. I was transferred

Customer Question

I used to work a a factory 10 miles from my house. I was transferred to a different factory 95 miles from my house. I drive every day to this new factory. I am not reimbursed for any of this milage. About 2 times a week I carry parts from one of the factories to the other in my car. Can I deduct this milage from my taxes, and if so, how do I go about doing that.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 8 years ago.



The mileage to/from home to your place of work, no matter how far is considered to be personal mileage.


On the days you go to the distant factory only, none of your mileage is deductible. On the days you stop at the near factory first, the mileage from the near factory to the far factory is allowed as a deduction.


The deductible mileage would be a miscellaneous itemized deduction. The total of all miscellaneous itemized deductions that exceed 2% of your adjusted gross income would be deductible.


I have provided a link to IRS Publication 463. See page 14 for details on how to determine business miles.


MequonCPA and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the help