Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Hi ... how long can I claim my son on my taxes. He is no longer

Customer Question
a student, but I do...
Hi ... how long can I claim my son on my taxes. He is no longer a student, but I do pay for more that 3/4ths of his living expenses. He does not live under my roof... I pay his appartment and utilities.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
11/3/2008
Tax Professional: MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 9 years ago
MequonCPA
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

DearCustomer-

If your son was a student for at least 5 months in 2008, you could possibly still claim him as a dependent.

If he was not a student, as you do not provide more than 1/2 of his support, you cannot claim him as a dependent.

I have provided a link to IRS Publication 501, which fully explains who qualifies as a dependent. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

MequonCPA

Hi...

Your answer states that I do not provide more thatn 1/2 of his support. I do. My note to you stated that I provide at least 3/4 of his support. I pay for his appartment and all of his utilities.

Did I miss something??

Also does it matter if his appratment is not in MASS?

Thanks, Francesca

Dear XXXXXca -

I misread it that HE provides 3/4 of the support.

For you to get the dependency exemption, he would have to have income of less than $3,400, even if you provide more than 1/2 of his support.

Last question. Does it matter that he does not live in the same state that I do.

Thanks, Francesca

Francesca -

Because he is your son, his state of residence does not matter.

If you may be allowed to claim him, both of you should review the cost/benefit for each of you changing who claims him (you or him).

MequonCPA
MequonCPA