Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My siblings and I entered into a living will with my mother

Customer Question
for the past 8 years...
My siblings and I entered into a living will with my mother for the past 8 years. We paid her taxes and utilities and upon her death Sept. 07. we have since sold the home. My questions is because it was a trust nominee do we still have to pay capital gaines?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/2/2008
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 9 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

The question is - when you became owners of the property?

If the property was inherited upon your mother's death in Sep 2007 and you became the owner at that time - inherited property would have stepped-up basis that is a fair market value of the property at the time the decedent died.

If you receive the property as a gift from your mother (while she was alive) eight years ago - the basis would be the same as your mother had at the time of gifting - thus if your mother purchased the property - the purchase price generally constitutes the basis.

As you sell the property - the selling price will be reported on the form 1099-S - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099s.pdf - so the IRS expects you to report the sale transaction even if you do not have any taxable gain.

You will report it on the schedule D - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sd.pdf - part II

The taxable gain is calculated as (selling price) - (basis)

The basis should be adjusted by any improvement, selling, and some other expenses.

Please let me know if you need any clarification.

Could you tell me if a nominee trust set up by my mother eight years ago constitutes a gift ?I'm not sure what other benefit it would be for if not giving her children the home unpon her death.
Please explain how the capital gains works on my question as I'm not sure of what you wrote.

The capital gain is calculated the same way in any situation - as (selling price) - (basis)

The only difference is - how the basis should be determined.

If your mother set revocable trust - she still considered an owner of the property (the title was not changed - correct?). But upon her death the trust became irrevocable .

Putting the property into the trust in such situation is not a gift - as you did not became an owner - correct? - and your mother still had an option to dissolve the trust and take the property back.

If all above are correct - and you became the owner only after your mother died - the property is considered as inherited and the basis is a fair market value on the day she died.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor