How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29571
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My neighborhood watch group (NC) is trying to get a EIN number

Customer Question

My neighborhood watch group (NC) is trying to get a EIN number in order to open a bank account. We are currently trying to raise money to purchse a new neighborhood sign. Once we apply for the EIN and have our articles of assocation what do we need to do (if possible) to make it a non-profit tax exempt association? We are confused on what forms we must file. We are not going to be collecting dues from homeowners like a homeowners association would we just want to be able to accept small donations to cover small items through out the neighborhood. Example - tshirts for our watch members that patrol the streets and our new neighborhood sign.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

On Sep 9, 2008, the IRS issued temporary Income Tax Regulations, which eliminate the advance ruling process for a section 501(c)(3) organization. Under the new regulations, a new 501(c)(3) organization will be classified as a publicly supported charity, and not a private foundation, if it can show that it reasonably can be expected to be publicly supported when it applies for tax-exempt status.


Please see other issue and information provided by the IRS in this article -,,id=184578,00.html


You may find the general procedure of creating non-for-profit organization here -


The IRS publication 557 - - will be very helpful, but please be aware of changes in the application process mentioned above.


Please consider NC Center for Nonprofits - - as additional local resource.

You may want to review the publication -


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok, I am a little lost. Maybe we are going about this the wrong way. All we want to do is open an acct where we can safely keep money until we need it (or have enough) to accomplish purchasing a new sign and tshirts. I am talking less than $3,000. Is there anyway we can get an EIN number for a Community Watch program and not have to file a tax return at the end or year since it will not be for profit? We want to keep it as simple as possible and not incorporate anything just have a basic community watch association acct for our own record keeping purposes.
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

You may not obtain a EIN number and open a bank account for the organization that doesn't exist - so you need to create such organization.

As you mentioned above - that will be non-for-profit organization - correct? - so you need to follow rules in creating such organization outlined above - there is no other way to have a formal non-for-profit organization.


An exempt organization having gross receipts in each tax year not more than $25,000 - do not file tax informational returns. But you would need to have a determination letter from the IRS to be considered as non-for-profit organization.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok, I think I am straight now. We need to apply for an EIN then file our Articles of association and the 1023 form with the IRS to become non-profit. Since our receipts will be under $25,000 we should not have to do anything else as far as the IRS is concern. Right?
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

Yes - that is correct, you still need to keep a record in case the IRS would audit your organization.


Because you will be in charge of the non-for-profit organization - you may want to read publications I referenced above - especially the IRS publication 557.

and publication of NC Center for Nonprofits - - as it describes some additional state regulations.


But generally - you are correct.

Lev and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.
Appreciate your warm words. I wish you the best.