How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I run a small business, my brother is our sales manager on

Resolved Question:

I run a small business, my brother is our sales manager on a small salary. I was wondering the tax implications if I were to pay the rent for his apartment with company dollars?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 8 years ago.



If you pay personal, family or living expenses for an employee you must include the amount that you paid as wage compensation for that employee.


So, you would include the value that you paid for his personal expenses in his total wages and also in the wages on which the business would pay employment taxes; just as you would if you had given him the cash instead of paying the rent for him.


See for details.


I hope this helps to understand compensation is treated the same whether in cash or another form.


Best wishes.

jgordosea and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you