How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got money transferred to my account from my relatives from

Resolved Question:

I got money transferred to my account from my relatives from another country, this is not my income, do I have to declare as my income anyway?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

What do you mean under "this is not my income"?

Is that a loan? a gift? other?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It's money for a business investment.
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

If you do not owe the money, but your relative does - he/she need to obtain taxpayer's ID from the IRS for the business entity your relative is planning to invest.


As the account owner - in case you transfer the money to US - if the amount is more than $100,000, you are required to file form 3120 - (see instructions for details - to declare transfer from the foreign country. There is no tax associated with this form.


As you do not own the money - it is not your income and you do not need to include that amount into your tax return.

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you