Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can Calif put a lien on property in another state for back

Customer Question
taxes due in Calif?...
Can Calif put a lien on property in another state for back taxes due in Calif?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
11/1/2008
Tax Professional: Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent replied 9 years ago
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.   Calif. can file a lien against assets you own in other states to collect back taxes.   It is not done to often due to the cost of filing the lien in other states. If the amount you owe is large enough and Calif. know you have assets you own in other states, Calif. might file a lien against you and your assets.
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Can they force sale of my home in Texas?
Calif. cannot force a sale of your home in Texas. They can file a state tax lien on assets you own in Texas but the Texas court will decide what assets are available to be levy.
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent