How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband died October 8th of this year. Must a distribution

This answer was rated:

My husband died October 8th of this year. Must a distribution be taken in 2008? If so must it be taken before his IRA is rolled over? Given the condition of the market I am trying to stall RMD If I have to take it must I take it in cash? Can I move mutual fund shares to a taxable account?



How old was your husband when he passed away?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry I should have put that in. 86

Hello againCustomer


Yes, you will be required to take the mandatory distribution this year on behalf of your husband. Typically the way it works is that you would move your husband's IRA in to a new "Inherited IRA" account or in to your own IRA account if yo have one. At the time you put this transfer into process, the investment firm that is holding your husband's IRA will figure what the mandatory distribution was for this year. That amount will be withdrawn from his IRA and the balance of the funds will then be put into your IRA account.


As far as whether or not you can withdraw mutual funds rather than cash, the answer is yes, you can. You would just specify the shares that you want moved, and the value of those shares at the close of business that day would be the amount that was reported as the minimum distribution and this is what would be reported to you on the 1099 form.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you.


Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you