How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, My mother n law moved in with us last year because of dimentia,

This answer was rated:

Hi, My mother n law moved in with us last year because of dimentia, we want to come up with a fair dollar amount to be paid for her care and additional expenses that have incurred from her living here. Do we pay taxes on the money that she would pay us?



Normally if you are renting space in your home to someone then the rental income would be reportable to the IRS. But this does not necessarily sound like a typical rental situation. Your mother in law has now become a member of your household. If the money she gives to you is to reimburse you for her share of groceries and other expenses which you have incurred on her behalf, then that is not rental income.


Also, keep in mind that under IRS regulations every individual is allowed to give another individual up to $12,000 each year without any gift tax or gift reporting required. That means your mother in law could give you and your husband a gift each year of up to $12,000 each with no gift tax or reporting requirements. How you choose to use that money is then up to you.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you.




Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you