How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marvin,EA Your Own Question
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1672
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Marvin,EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to prove insolvency to IRS with debt cancellation.

Customer Question

How to prove insolvency to IRS with debt cancellation.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. You should have records of all liabilities (credit cards, loans, other debts). Records of total assets (cash in bank, stocks, bonds, assets not paid in full, other assets). In order to discharge 1099-C debt you must be insolvent to the extent that your liabilities exceeded the fair market value of your assets (assets that are paid for in full) immediately before the discharge. You can read Form 982, Reduction of Tax Attributes Due to Discharge of Indebtedness,(

Marvin,EA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.
Incorrect address (