How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I claim my son who is 19, living at home and attending

This answer was rated:

Can I claim my son who is 19, living at home and attending community college full-time as a dependant on my work W-4? He is fully dependent on me for all of his housing, food, clothing and transportation costs.



First of all, concerning the W-4 form, you can fill out that form and claim one or two or even three dependents, regardless of whether or not you actually have that many to claim on your tax return at the end of the year. The W-4 form is basically just a worksheet used to determine how much taxes you think you need to have withheld. People who have higher deductions than normal may claim more exemptions, knowing that at the end of the year they will have enough deductions to take, so they claim more exemptions to have less tax withheld from their checks.


However, concerning your actual right to claim your son as a dependent:


To claim your son as a dependent, he must be uder age 19 - or under age 24 if a full time student.


He must live with you for more than half of the year and he must not have provided more than half of his own support.


If your son meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person (such as an ex spouse), then you must be the person entitled to claim him.


If he meets these guidelines, you may claim him as a dependent on your tax return.


I am giving you a link to Publication 501. Refer to the section entitled "Exemptions for Dependents"


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you.






Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you! I've not claimed him since he turned 17. I mistakenly thought when the new tax rules for child deduction was released that we could no longer claim him even though he didn't graduate high school till he was 18. We actually were incensed that we could not claim him as a dependent even though he was still in high school and a certain tax company backed up that claim.


Is it possible for me to go back and revise my income tax statements for the couple years we missed on claiming him as a deduction?