How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently married a foreign national and have applied for

Resolved Question:

I recently married a foreign national and have applied for residency in her native country. I work on a cargo ship and I rent a residence in NY. Once I receive approval of residence in Poland, can I stop paying NY state tax even if I occasionally return to NY.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.



Once you are no longer a resident of New York state or have income from NY state, then you will no longer be liable for NY state taxes, even though you may return to NY occasionally to visit.


As a US citizen, you will however still be subject to US federal income taxes on any income you earn worldwide, so even when you move to Poland, you will still be required to file a US tax return to report any income you have.


Once you have been out of the country for 330 days, you will qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion which will allow you to exclude $87,600 from your foreign earnings before any tax might be due to the US.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you.


Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions