How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If we have a sales person we pay a salary plus commission to

Resolved Question:

If we have a sales person we pay a salary plus commission to do we have to take taxes out of the commission check or can we cut it and let him be responsible for the taxes?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

Assuming the person works for you as an employee - any compensation for the service is generally considered wages - and you are required to withhold employment and income taxes.


If commissions are supplemental wages - you need to select the way to determine income tax withholding (that should be the same for all employees):

--- the commission amount is added to regular wages and withholding is determined based on W-4 filing

--- withhold from any supplemental wages including the commission payments at flat 25% rate.


Please see IRS publication 15 for more details and withholding tables -

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions