Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If we have a sales person we pay a salary plus commission to

Customer Question
do we have to take...
If we have a sales person we pay a salary plus commission to do we have to take taxes out of the commission check or can we cut it and let him be responsible for the taxes?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
10/3/2008
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 9 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Assuming the person works for you as an employee - any compensation for the service is generally considered wages - and you are required to withhold employment and income taxes.

If commissions are supplemental wages - you need to select the way to determine income tax withholding (that should be the same for all employees):

--- the commission amount is added to regular wages and withholding is determined based on W-4 filing

--- withhold from any supplemental wages including the commission payments at flat 25% rate.

Please see IRS publication 15 for more details and withholding tables - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15.pdf

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor