Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We have gotten 3-4 thousand dollars back for the last 5 years.

Customer Question
This year we received a...
We have gotten 3-4 thousand dollars back for the last 5 years. This year we received a bonus check for natural gas lease of 6 thousand dollars. Nothing else on our return will change income wise. Should we expect to pay in this year or just see a decrease in our return?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
10/2/2008
Tax Professional: Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent replied 9 years ago
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. Royalties income from natural gas lease will be reported as ordinary income on your federal income tax return. The $6,000 will be tax at your ordinary tax rate. If your federal tax rate is 25% you would have to pay $1,500 tax on the $6,000 received. You should expect a decrease in your refund for 2008.
So since we normally receive such a high refund we shouldn't have to pay in?
If your refund will be $3,000 without the extra $6,000 income you do not need to change the amount withheld from your W2 or estimated tax payments.
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent