Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I owe 25,000 for 06 taxes and 29,000 for 07 taxes. I have worked

Customer Question
extra hard but between medicare...
I owe 25,000 for 06 taxes and 29,000 for 07 taxes. I have worked extra hard but between medicare not paying what they owe and my family in Iraq needing support and AN AGING REPORT OF 950,319.88 (most of which I will never see) Would it be smart to do an offer in compromize with the IRS? Are these legite reasons? Please advise
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
10/2/2008
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 9 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

HelloCustomer

The idea to submit an Offer in Compromise really depends on your overall financial situation and whether or not the IRS believes that they can reasonably have a chance to collect the full debt owed either in a lump sum payment or through a payment agreement.

In most cases, the IRS will not accept an OIC unless the amount offered by the taxpayer is equal to or greater than the reasonable collection potential.

The reasonable collection potential is how the IRS measures the taxpayer's ability to pay and includes the value that can be realized from the taxpayer's assets, such as real property, automobiles, bank accounts, and other property.

The reasonable collection potential also includes anticipated future income, less certain amounts allowed for basic living expenses.

Also keep in mind that although there are many "promoters" who advertise that they can help you drastically reduce taxes you owe the IRS, in reality, the IRS only approves on average about 15% of all Offers in Compromise that are submitted.

It certainly never hurts to try submitting such an offer. Just keep in mind that if you are bringing in enough current income or have enough assets that the IRS feels would enable you to fully satisfy this debt, then your chances of having an OIC accepted would be slim.

If this answer was helpful, please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant