How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how much income tax will i pay for 2008

Resolved Question:

income 30,000 (retirement and ss)stock profit 10,000, sold an
annuity and made 30,000 in profit. 12,000 spent in medical
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

Please separate your social security income and income from pension

Also stock profit of $10,000 - is it short or long term?

Are you married/single?

What is your age?

Do you have any property tax expenses? mortgage interest? charitable contribution?


I will estimate your tax liability...

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

married, i'm 70, my husband 73. stock profit short term.

property taxes 1700.00 also tax loss of 1500.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

charitable contributions 2000

ss 12000.00 ss 11000 9800 pension

Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

Please confirm that I have a correct picture about your tax situation....


So far - your combined expected 2008 income would be

SS - $12,000 + $11,000 = $23,000

pension $9800

short term capital gain $10,000

annuity income $30,000


Your expenses that might be used on the schedule A (if you itemize)

charitable contributions $2,000

medical expenses $12,000

property taxes $1,700

no mortgage interest

did you had ant state taxes paid or withheld in 2008? what state do you live?


not sure what do you mean "tax loss of 1500"?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
live in fl. sold stock with a loss of $1500.00
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

Ok - so taxable income without SS will be

pension $9800

short term capital gain $10,000 - $1500(loss)=$8500

annuity income $30,000

Subtotal $48,300

Your SS income will be partly taxable $23,000*85%=$19550

Total adjusted gross income $48,300+$19550=$67,850


You likely will use standard deduction that is $13000 in your situation

Your personal exemptions $7000

Your estimated taxable income - $47850

Your estimated tax liability is ~$6,375


Please let me know if any clarification is needed.


Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you