Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Do I have to split the taxes on my house with my ex husband

Customer Question
if the house went to...
Do I have to split the taxes on my house with my ex husband if the house went to me in the divorce and the divorce was final before the end of the year?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
10/1/2008
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 9 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

HelloCustomer

Are you talking about the deduction you would take for property taxes?

If so, when and how are your property taxes paid? Were they included with your monthly mortgage payments or do you pay your tax bill directly at the end of the year? If so, when was the bill paid and were you still married at the time?

I am talking about the deduction for property taxes.

They are included in my monthly mortgage payments.

Hello againCustomer

In most states, after a divorce occurs only one spouse or the other can claim the deductions that your normally would have taken together. This is either determined by actually specifying the agreed-to deductions as part of the divorce decree or by the spouses working out an agreement between themselves. However, there is an exception to this rule if you live in a community property state. Your post indicates you are from Washington. If that is where your divorce occured then this rule would not apply in your situation.

In community property states (Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada New Mexico, Texas, Washington and Wisconsin), you and your spouse may be allowed to split the deduction for allowable expenses that were paid for using money from a joint account while you were still married. If that was the case, then your ex spouse would be entitled to a portion of the property taxes paid while you were still married.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant