How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anne Your Own Question
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2429
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Anne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have 2- 17 year old twins that got their first part time

This answer was rated:

i have 2- 17 year old twins that got their first part time job this may. I was wondering if i still claim them as dependants or do they do their own taxes. They make approx. $7-$8 dollars and hour and work about 24 hours a week.



Thank you for using justanswer. As long as your children do not provide more than 50% of their own support (including wages, investments, etc), they are under age 19, and live with you more than half the year, then you may still claim them under the Qualifying Child rules, and it sounds like you will have no trouble meeting the requirments.


If your children have any Federal tax withheld, and want to file to get that withholding back, then they would file a Form 1040EZ, marking the box that states they were being claimed by somebody else (you, the parent) and they would still be able to recover most, if not all, of their Federal tax withholding.


They will not be able to recover their social security or medicare tax withheld until they retire, just like the rest of us. (Sometimes first time filers think they can get everything back, so thought I'd mention that one)


I hope this helps.


If you have found my answer helpful, please click the green "accept" button as it is the only way we get paid.


Positive feedback and bonuses are always appreciated.

Anne and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you