How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marvin,EA Your Own Question
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1672
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Marvin,EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How much and what type of tax do I have to pay

Resolved Question:

I recently quite my job and I had profit sharing and ESOP. I would like to cash out on both of these but I don't know how much tax i would have to pay. Do I have to pay income or capital gains on the esop? If I had another option I would just leave these alone but I became disabled so I need that money to live. Thank you for any tips or information that you can share.
Westminster, MD
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. Early withdrawals from a ESOP will be included in your gross income and tax at your regular tax rate. You will also be subject to a additional tax equal to 10% of the amounts withdrawn that is includible in your gross income. You can file with your tax return Form 5329, Additional Tax on Qualified Plan ( to waived the 10% penalty due to your disability.

Marvin,EA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you