How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marvin,EA Your Own Question
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1672
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Marvin,EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i paid a mortgage on a house for 20 years and then sold it.

Resolved Question:

i paid a mortgage on a house for 20 years and then sold it. After the house balance was paid off and all fees were paid I had a gain of 24,000 dollars. Is the gain subject to federal taxes ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. Was the home your principal residence?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes it was my principal residence and i will accept it.
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.

You can exclusion from income up to $250,000 of gain from the sale of your personal residence if you owned and used the home as a principal residence for at least two out of the five years prior to the sale.

Marvin,EA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you