Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

tax treaty with taiwan

Customer Question
Is there a required withholding...
Is there a required withholding on corporate dividends paid to taiwanese owners of a U.S. company?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
10/1/2008
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 9 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Currently - there is no tax treaty between Taiwan and US...

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/international/article/0,,id=96739,00.html

Any payment by US companies to Taiwanese residents are subject for mandatory 30%withholding.

You would need to file US tax return as non-resident, calculate your actual tax liability, and might be able to get a refund.

Please let me know if any clarification is needed.

would Taiwan fall under the treaty with China since the two are really one?

Unfortunately - no - US consideres China and Taiwan as separate countries.

(a) the term "the People's Republic of China", when used in a geographical sense, means all the

territory of the People's Republic of China, including its territorial sea, in which the laws relating to

Chinese tax are in force, and all the area beyond its territorial sea, including the sea-bed and subsoil thereof, over which the People's Republic of China has jurisdiction in accordance with international law and in which the laws relating to Chinese tax are in force;

source - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-trty/china.pdf

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor