How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son is leaving his job of 18yrs for a lower paying job,what

Resolved Question:

my son is leaving his job of 18yrs for a lower paying job,what tax will he pay for taking his 401k and using it for living expenses
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Bill replied 8 years ago.

If he takes a lump sum distribution it will be added to his other income for the year and taxed at his tax bracket which is based on his taxable income after adjustments, deductions, and exemptions. For example, if he is single, the lump sum amount is $45,000 and his other income for the year is $40,000 then he would have to pay approximately $10,000 (25%) in federal income taxes on the lump sum amount. If he leaves his company prior to age 55 then there would be an additional penalty tax of $4,000 (10%). In addtion, there may also be state income taxes.

Bill and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you