How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 1099 contractor what and when do I pay taxes

This answer was rated:

I am a 1099 contractor what and when do I pay taxes?

Hello Karen,


As an independent contractor you are considered to be self employed or in business for yourself as a sole proprietor. At the end of the year when you file your tax return you will fill out Schedule C (Profit or Loss from Business). On Schedule C you will report your earnings from the 1099 form and you will also take credit for any deductions that you have in connection with your job as an independent contractor. This may include such things as mileage, cost of tools, office supplies, cell phone expense, home office, or any expenses you have in connection with your work. After filling out Schedule C to report your income and deductions, you will then come up with your "net income".


As a self employed person, your net income is subject to the full share of self employment taxes (social security and medicare taxes). Those two taxes combined are 15.3%. So you would also have to fill out Schedule SE to figure the amount of self employment taxes that you owe on your net income from self employment.


Your net income from Schedule C is then reported on Form 1040 along with any other income which you may have from another job or from dividends, interest, etc. You will then apply either your itemized deductions or the standard deduction and take a credit for the dependents you are claiming, to come up with your taxable income.


Since you are self employed and no taxes are being withheld from your earnings as would be the case with a regular job, then you should probably be making quarterly estimated tax payments to the IRS. If you do not make quarterly payments, then at the end of the year when tax time comes, if you have not paid in any taxes all year you may owe interest for underpayment of taxes.


To make quarterly payments, you need to estimate what you think you might owe at the end of the year, and then make payments in quarterly installments using

Form 1040-ES. Depending on what state you live in, you should also make quarterly estimated payments to your state if you live in a state where income taxes apply.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you and let me know if you need more help.




Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you