Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Hi,I have lost the original w2s for my tax return but I do

Hi,I have lost the original...
Hi,I have lost the original w2's for my tax return but I do have copies of them that I made. Is it posiible to send the copies?
9/20/2008
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer

HICustomer/p>

Thank you for using justanswer. It is absolutely ok to send the copies. First, remember that your employer also sent a copy to the IRS, so they already have all of the information they need from that copy. Even if you didn't have that copy, there are various forms the IRS would have accepted in lieu of the original W2. One would be a transcript of all of the income reported under your social security number that you get from the IRS by filing Form 4506-T (Rev. January 2008)Request for Transcript of Tax Return .

Another method would be to create a substitue W2 by filing Form 4852 (PDF), Substitute for Form W-2 . You would have needed all the information contained on your W2 in order to fill this out, so that copy you made was a smart idea, and you should have no problems attaching it to your return.

I hope this helps

If you have found my answer helpful, please click the green "accept" button as it is the only way we get paid.

Positive feedback and bonuses are always appreciated.

Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Anne
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer