How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29655
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own an art gallery and since we work on a consignment basis,

Customer Question

I own an art gallery and since we work on a consignment basis, I have left it up to my artists to file on their own behalf while I take care of my sales taxes and income. Should I be doing more and asking the artists to fill out tax documents as well?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

Yes - before providing any payments - you need to request W-9 form -

or form W-8 - for foreign persons


If the form is not provided - you might need to withhold income tax and remit to the IRS -

see Publication 515 for details


In additional you might need to file 1099misc - - to report that you made direct sales of at least $5,000 of consumer products to a buyer

for resale anywhere other than a permanent retail establishment.


Let me know if any clarification is needed.