How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marvin,EA Your Own Question
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1672
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Marvin,EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife & I are both retired and usually take standard deduction.

Resolved Question:

My wife & I are both retired and usually take standard deduction. This year my wife earned over $40000 as consultant, with reimbursed and other expenses equaling about 27k. Now preparing to submit SE Sept. tax payment to feds. My question, can we treat this as a separate business with deductions while continuing to take standard deductions on our regular tax? This of course is critical in determining payment.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 9 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. Is your wife making SE payment with IRS Form 1040-ES? If not what IRS form is used to submit SE payments?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Yes, will be filing 1040-ES which is due 9/15. This will be first payment since she didn't start consulting until may-june 08.
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 9 years ago.
You will treat your wife consultant income and expenses as a business and report the income and expenses on IRS Form Sch. C, Profit and Loss from Business ( You will still be able to use the standard deduction when you file your Federal tax return.
Marvin,EA and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you