Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How much total tax is paid on a pack of cigaretted Federal

Customer Question
How much total tax is...
How much total tax is paid on a pack of cigaretted? Federal and State tax, in the state of Washington
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/4/2008
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 9 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Washington Excise tax is 202.5¢ per pack - http://dor.wa.gov/content/FindTaxesAndRates/OtherTaxes/tax_cigarette.aspx - it is one of the highest in US. - http://www.taxadmin.org/FTA/rate/cigarett.html

Additional sales tax (state and local) are based on the price rather than on pack) and on location - the range is 7% - 9% - see table in this publication - http://dor.wa.gov/docs/forms/ExcsTx/LocSalUseTx/LocalSlsUseFlyer_Quarterly.pdf - so it is hard to translate into per pack amount....

The federal excise tax (FET) on cigarettes is currently 39¢ per pack - http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/research/factsheets/pdf/0092.pdf

There is a proposed law change 61¢ per pack increase - http://www.nocigtax.com/tax-facts/federal - but so far it is not in effect.

In additional - price includes Tobacco Settlement Payments - see Total Smoker Cigarette Payments - http://www.nocigtax.com/tax-facts/state/washington

Total tax on cigarettes:

$.39 FET

$2.025 SET

plus 7-9% sales tax based on the price

plus ~12-15% of the price - amount allocated to Tobacco Settlement...

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor