How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29570
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

1. I paid additional state tax for 2004 which i paid on tax

Resolved Question:

1. I paid additional state tax for 2004 which i paid on tax year 2007.I included it on my Federal Schedule A. Should this payment also be included as tax payments together with tax withheld from W-2 on my tax year 2007 return 540?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

Assuming you paid in 2007 California income taxes for 2004.

That is correct that amount paid was included on the schedule A - as you deduct state income tax based on the year in which they were actually paid. Be sure to report only actual taxes - not penalties or interest you might paid for being late.


As you filled form 540 -


you should not include that amount neither in line 36 California income tax withheld nor in the line 37 2007 CA estimated tax and other payments - you should only include withholdings and payments for 2007, but that payment was for different year.


However - that amount should be include in line 39 of the form 540CA - because it was included in your federal itemized deductions.

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you