How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anne Your Own Question
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2429
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Anne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

we are a social club but would like to formalizeour activity

Customer Question

we are a social club but would like to formalizeour activity in legal form.i need to know the procedure to become a 501c8 social club. please detail the steps i must take.i have form1024 but need to know whether i need to be a corp or how do i get a charter.please detail step by step procedures the forms are no problem
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 8 years ago.



Thank you for using justanswer. 501 (c)8 tax code deals with Fraternal Beneficiary Societies and Domestic Fraternal Societies.The major distinction between the two is that fraternal beneficiary societies provide for the payment of life, sick, accident, or other benefits to their members or their dependents, while domestic fraternal societies do not provide these benefits but rather devote their earnings to fraternal, religious, charitable, etc., purposes.


I think you might be thinking of a 501 (c) 7 orginization, Social and Recreation Clubs. To be exempt under Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(7), a social club must be organized for pleasure, recreation, and other similar nonprofitable purposes and substantially all of its activities must be for these purposes.


In either case, IRS gives some step by step instructions in Publication 557 (06/2008), Tax-Exempt Status for Your Organization (see chapters 1 & 2), I would strongly suggest that you find a knowledgeable tax professional, Enrolled Agent, or CPA who is familiar with this part of the tax laws and have them help guide you thru this process or at least check over your paperwork before you send it in to the IRS.


I've also included some links I think you might find helpful. Please see below:


Comparison of 501(c) Status


Frequently Asked Questions on Tax Exempt Status


I hope this helps


If you have found my answer helpful, please click the green "accept" button as it is the only way we get paid.


Positive feedback and bonuses are always appreciated



Related Tax Questions