How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my husband passed away two years ago, the house his mother

Resolved Question:

my husband passed away two years ago, the house his mother lived in had his name on the land registery . she passed away four weeks ago, do I have a claim?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

Hello tyes,


Since your husband has passed away, then if his mother did not leave a will, her home and any other assets she may have will most likely end up in probate court and the court will determine the distribution of the assets.


Normally the first people to be considered by the court as heirs would be the spouse (if there was one) or any other living children that she may have. However, anyone can file a claim with the probate court to be considered in the distribution of the assets. Since your husband's name was on the land registry, then the court may consider your claim, but it will really depend on what other living relatives the mother may have, such as other children or grandchildren, etc. But you are certainly entitled to enter your claim, and you would be considered by the court in the distribution of her assets.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you.


Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you