Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

if I sell my business, how much time, if any, do I have to

Customer Question
re-invest before I paying capital...
if I sell my business, how much time, if any, do I have to re-invest before I paying capital gains? how are capital gains taxes determined?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
9/2/2008
Tax Professional: RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 9 years ago
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

What assets are you selling?

The like kind exchange provisions under IRC Sec. 1031 allows company to defer the recognition of taxable gains by exchanging business assets with new, similar assets.

ok...it's a service business...so assets are minimal as far as furniture/equipment. The bulk is "goodwill" and contract services which will be sustained after sale; plus the name as far as reputation

just waiting to hear from you

Tax Professional: Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 9 years ago
Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Section 1031 will not allow you to reinvest and defer gains from the sale of goodwill and other intangible assets. Generally speaking, this sale (based on the information provided) is going to be taxable.

The capital gain will be determined by subtracting your "cost basis" from the selling price. Unless you purchased the business from a previous owner, the cost basis in your goodwill will be $0 and, therefore, the entire amount allocated to goodwill would be taxed as a long term capital gain - maximum tax rate of 20%. It is possible that this transaction will trigger alternative minimum tax as well. You should probably sit down with someone knowledgable and give them all of the information including the dollar amounts and your other income/expense amounts so that you have a good handle on what the actual tax implications will be.

jon

Jon Andrews
thank you very much...appreciate the info
Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews