Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If I run my for hire trucks through different states and

Customer Question
If I run my "for...
If I run my "for hire" trucks through different states and pay fuel tax in those states....can I get a tax refund on fuel consumed in those states from idling and not driving ?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
9/2/2008
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 9 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

While rules are different in each state - normally states provide Fuel tax refunds if the fuel was used for a non-highway purpose, such as lawnmowers, boats, bulldozers, combines, non-highway logging equipment, etc.

If the fuel was use by trucks on the road - you may not claim fuel tax refunds.

see for instance

WA - http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/ftrefunds.html

FL - http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/download/!refunds.html

MO - http://dor.mo.gov/tax/business/fuel/forms/

WI - http://www.revenue.wi.gov/forms/excise/index-f.html

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor