Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am an ordained minister. On the Cdn. tax return there is

Customer Question
a line item (231) entitled...
I am an ordained minister. On the Cdn. tax return there is a line item (231) entitled clergy residence deduction. Could you define this for me?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/2/2008
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 9 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

HelloCustomer

You are eligible to claim the clergy residence deduction on line 231 of your return if you were a member of the clergy or a religious order or a regular minister of a religious denomination, who was:

• in charge of a diocese, parish or congregation;
  • ministering to a diocese, parish or congregation; or
  • engaged exclusively in full-time administrative service by appointment of a religious order or religious denomination.

The credit may be a full or partial credit for any amounts you paid for housing, including utilities.

In order to claim the credit, you must first complete Form T1223, Clergy Residence Deduction, that has Part B certified by your employer.

If this has been helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant