How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks Your Own Que...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1257
Experience:  I am a Master Tax Advisor and Enrolled Agent. I have 40 years experience. Trucking specialist.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live 65 mile from my place of employment. I was told that

Resolved Question:

I live 65 mile from my place of employment. I was told that I could write off a perdiem rate for meals each day. Can you please verify if this is in fact a legitimate tax deduction. I live in the state of MD.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks replied 8 years ago.
<p>Your miles driven may be deductible if this is a temporary assignment that is expected to last (and DOES last) for less than 1 year after which you will again return to your regular place of business.</p><p> </p><p>You may deduct meal expenses (up to 50% on nonlavish meals) for a temporary assignment that is away from your regular place of business and which will cause you to be away longer than a regular work day. This deduction is not allowed if you actually do return home during that period or are able to take the meal at your home.</p><p> </p><p>You must use Form 2106 if you are an employee to take the deduction. The deduction is subject to a further reduction in the amount of 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income when it is carried to your Schedule A.</p>
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you