Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

partners on property tax deduction who gets it

Customer Question
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
9/1/2008
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 9 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

As long as you both are on the deed - either of you may use property tax and mortgage interest deduction.

Generally - each of you may deduct the amount you or he actually paid. If some payments were paid from community funds - each of you entitled for 50% deductions.

If you have separation decree - that document may specify who is entitled for deduction and in which proportion.

Please let me know if any clarification is needed.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
I was kicked out of the house for a year and rented a house with are kids he made the house payment and the account is in his name
Relist: I still need help.
he kicked me out of the house for a year he made payments from his account I rented so I could not help him I supported are two kids so who get tax deductions then are names are XXXXX XXXXX the deed

Tax deductions are taken by the person who made payments - that is the IRS's point of view.

If you made rental payments - they are not deductible.

If you think that you are entitled to deductions - you try to negotiate with your partner - if you would not come to any agreement - the only way - to go to the family court and get a separation decree.

The separation decree signed by the judge may specify who is entitled to deduction and in which proportion.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor