Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Hi, Can you tell me if Union Dues are paid with

Customer Question
Hi, Can you tell me if...
Can you tell me if Union Dues are paid with pre-tax dollars or after-tax dollars?
Thanks,
Pat
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
8/7/2008
Tax Professional: Cassandra, Tax Preparer replied 9 years ago
Cassandra
Cassandra, Tax Preparer
HelloCustomerand welcome to just answer.

Generally speaking union dues are after tax-dollars, however I have seen certain union dues that are paid with pre-tax dollars.

Now, if you pay your union dues with after tax-dollars, then you can deduct them on a schedule A as a Misc. deduction on line 21, subject to 2% of your AGI. This is only if a schedule A will give you more deduction than your standard deduction.
Cassandra
Cassandra, Tax Preparer
Reply to Cassandra's Post: Just to make sure I understand, if I join a union that charges 6% of my pay, then I will only be able to get 4% of that back (6% - 2% agi)
I will include a copy of a schedule A for you to view at the end of this message. The 2% is based on your AGI, and is included of all things that are in the Misc. category of a schedule A. Schedule A includes unreimbursed job expenses and travel, union dues, tax preparation fees and investment safety box.

For example you come up with $2000 in misc expenses in total. Your AGI is $50,000 then 2% of 50,000 is $1000. So the first $1000 of the $2000 is not deductible. In this scenario you would be able to deduct only $1000.

Of course all of this is dependent on the fact that it is better for you to file a schedule A, versus using your standard deduction.

Does that make sense, and if not, let me know how I can explain it better to you or where you are confused.

thanks,
Cassandra
Cassandra
Cassandra, Tax Preparer