How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother is planning on getting marry. Currently she ...

Customer Question

My mother is planning on getting marry. Currently she is receiving Social Security Disability (drawing from her own account) due to a mental illness. They are both drawing separate pre nuptial agreements agreeing to separate incomes etc. she will remain in her own home and he will remain in his. She is currently not doing taxes due to the fact that she can not work and SSD is not enoug to qualify. Would she have to due taxes even if she is not claim on his taxes. He will not support her but will provide her with medical insurance.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 9 years ago.


Unless they file a joint return, she will not be required to file a return unless she earns sufficient reportable income to require filing. She may have to file a return to get any economic rebate checks that might be required.

SSD does qualify for the rebate check, but she has to file a return to get it.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you. What if she claims her as a dependant?
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 9 years ago.


He is not able to claim her on his taxes.

The only filing status available to two people who are married is:

Filing a joint return or fling married and seperate returns.