Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Where would a person who is employed by Hawaiian ...

Customer Question
Where would a person who...
Where would a person who is employed by Hawaiian Aviation and contracted to Japan ANA be liable to pay tax? The person has a ex family in Australia since August 2001 and now a new one in Japan since November 2007.He is paid in US Dollars and travels via USA on some international routes. He is claiming defacto settlement and I am unsure where or if he has paid tax.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
8/5/2008
Tax Professional: Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent replied 9 years ago
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. What country is the person a citizen?
Australian
Does the individual have a green card? If no green card, what type of visa has been issued? What is the date of arrival (and days of presence) in the United States?
Reply to Marvin,EA's Post: The person is a pilot,so I am unsure as to what visa's are issued through the USA. Although the person works for Hawaiian Aviation,no longer travels via Hawaii but mainly Anchorage,Chicago.

An individual who meets either the green card or substantial presence test is considered a resident alien and is generally taxed on worldwide income following the same rules as a U.S. citizen. If the individual does not have a green card the individual is considered a nonresident alien and will be tax only on U.S. -source income. The individual will file with the IRS Form 1040NR (www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040nr.pdf) .

Reply to Marvin,EA's Post: I am really unsure what this information means to me as an Austalian defacto. I now know this person has not filed any tax returns in Australia or USA, but now appears to be doing so in Japan with his new family since November 07
If he is filing and paying Japan income tax on wages earned working for a company base in Japan is a residence of Japan and does not have a residence in the USA he should not be liable for US income tax.
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent