How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. I recently started a second job as a small ...

This answer was rated:

Hello. I recently started a second job as a small business owner. I have lost more money than I made in this business so I know I won''t have to pay income tax for it but can I use it as a deduction against my primary job (teacher) salary? If so how do I do this?

If your business was started in 2008 - you will report your business income and expenses on the schedule C with your 2008 tax return. - - this is 2007 form for reference only because 2008 form is not available yet.

On the line 31 you will calculate your total income/loss - as you are expecting a loss - the result will be negative. That amount will be reported on your 2008 tax return - form 1040 line 12 - - as it will be negative - it will reduce your total adjusted taxable income and reduce your tax liability.

Lev and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you