How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29798
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I inherited certificates of deposit totalling $80,000, as ...

Resolved Question:

I inherited certificates of deposit totalling $80,000, as part of my mothers'' estate (the entire estate is less than $200,000.) Do I pay income tax on these CDs?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 9 years ago.

sorry for your loss... you do not owe ant tax on the principal amount on the CD, but

the interest earned on CDs are taxable income. The interest earned in 2007 - is taxable income for 2007. Your bank should issue the form 1099INT - - that reports your taxable interest. You need to give that form to your tax preparer for considerations.

If you are worry about estate or inheritance taxes - federal estate taxes apply to estates with value above $2,000,000 - so it is unlikely that you owe any federal estate taxes. There is no estate taxes in Georgia (since 2005).

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you