How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do i stop the irs from leaning proprty and garnishing m

Resolved Question:

How do i stop the irs from leaning proprty and garnishing m y wages
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 9 years ago.


Has the IRS already placed a lien on any of your property or bank accounts or have they started garnishment of your wages?

If so, did you have an approved payment plan in place with the IRS to pay off your back taxes, or what was the status of your unpaid tax?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
We just recieved a letter in the mail stating their intentions
Expert:  Merlo replied 9 years ago.

Hello againCustomer

Normally when you owe back taxes to the IRS, if you cannot afford to pay all of the back taxes due at one time, they may be willing to work out a payment plan with you for repayment of your tax debt. You may also try filing an "Offer in Compromise" to see if the IRS will consider taking a lesser amount than you owe for your back taxes. Depending on your situation and whether the IRS believes the Offer in Compromise is reasonable an the best way to collect their money, it may be accepted.

But in the meantime, if you have not come to some type of acceptable arrangements with the IRS to being settling your tax debt, then there is nothing you can do to prevent the liens or garnisments from being put in place.

Regarding the back taxes that you currently owe to the IRS, if you cannot afford to make payments then you might want to see if you qualify for what is called "Status 53" which means your account would be classified as "currently uncollectable". This is an option if you have no disposable monthly income or non-essential assets for the IRS to seize for the purpose of paying back taxes. IRS collection efforts will stop temporarily, and when you are able to pay, you can begin to pay off what is owed. Back taxes will not go away, but you do have some time, if you are eligible, to get back on your feet. At that point, you may be able to put together an Installment Agreement to set up a back taxes payment plan. You should contact the IRS at(###) ###-####and talk with someone in the Problem Resolution Program to see if you possibly qualify for this status, and what steps you need to take to apply.

It would also be in your best interest to seek the help of a tax consultant who is experienced in dealing with the IRS on back tax issues, as they could greatly assist you in filing for either the Offer in Compromise or the Status 53.

If this has been helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you and best of luck in getting this resolved.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you