Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

how can i get a comfirmation of the extension formed i sent

Customer Question
I filed for an extension...
I filed for an extension for my 2007 taxes, and due to the fact my attorney needs a copy because of divorce. I am a 1099 and self employed and paid estimated taxes for 6 months then separated from my wife.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
8/4/2008
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 9 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If your extension was eFiled - you should have received a confirmation e-mail from the IRS within 2 days of filing.

If you mailed your extension form - the IRS will not send a confirmation. If the extension was postmarked by midnight local time on April 15, 2008 - it is approved and accepted by the IRS automatically. Generally - a copy of your extension form is acceptable document of filing an extension. If you sent a check with the extension - your canceled check may serve as a confirmation that your extension form was received.

If you sent an extension to file state tax return - some states do send confirmation letter.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Reply to LEV's Post: can't i get a copy of what i filed??

If you eFiled your extension - your provider may be able to get a copy of the form for you.

If you send your extension application by mail - you might keep a copy for yourself - if you can't locate the copy - you may visit the local IRS office and ask for a copy - http://www.irs.gov/localcontacts/article/0,,id=98284,00.html - there is no online extension status provided by the IRS.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor