How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29573
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how can i get a comfirmation of the extension formed i sent

Resolved Question:

I filed for an extension for my 2007 taxes, and due to the fact my attorney needs a copy because of divorce. I am a 1099 and self employed and paid estimated taxes for 6 months then separated from my wife.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

If your extension was eFiled - you should have received a confirmation e-mail from the IRS within 2 days of filing.

If you mailed your extension form - the IRS will not send a confirmation. If the extension was postmarked by midnight local time on April 15, 2008 - it is approved and accepted by the IRS automatically. Generally - a copy of your extension form is acceptable document of filing an extension. If you sent a check with the extension - your canceled check may serve as a confirmation that your extension form was received.

If you sent an extension to file state tax return - some states do send confirmation letter.


Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to LEV's Post: can't i get a copy of what i filed??
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

If you eFiled your extension - your provider may be able to get a copy of the form for you.

If you send your extension application by mail - you might keep a copy for yourself - if you can't locate the copy - you may visit the local IRS office and ask for a copy -,,id=98284,00.html - there is no online extension status provided by the IRS.