Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have a rental house. Is there a depreciation on ...

Customer Question
I have a rental house...
I have a rental house. Is there a depreciation on the property that can be deducted from my income tax?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
8/3/2008
Tax Professional: Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent replied 9 years ago
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. How have you had the rental house and have you deduct any expenses on IRS Form Sch.E?
Reply to Marvin,EA's Post: We have had the house for 2 years, and I don't believe we have deducted anything as far a depreciation. We have deducted the interest on the loan.
Have you deducted the interest on Sch. E (www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040se.pdf) ?
Yes

Depreciation of rental properties are on Form 4562 (www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4562.pdf) place in service during the first year in service. You should amended you tax returns for the first two years you filed Sch. E. for the rental properties. You will use MACRS and nonresidential real property recovery period of 27.5 years. Once you find the amount to deprecate your rental properties you will use that amount for 27.5 years or until you sell the properties.

Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent